Wednesday 7 November 2007

God Save The Queen's Speech

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I watched the Queen's Speech. As a politics graduate, I knew what it was, but had never really been concerned enough to watch it. Youth of today...

Watching it with my fellow International Journalism students was a revelation - a Kenyan colleague couldn't take his eyes of the screen, while a Greek friend asked me constantly who they were and what their roles were and a Spanish friend was hoping the Queen would trip up to make the news more interesting!

Later we had to compile all our stories and lay them out in the style of The Independent - quite a stressful exercise, as there was so little time to do so much. But a good experience - and, I suppose, a reminder of why Britain is such a source of inspiration and fascination for those coming from foreign countries.

No comments: